Monday, April 19, 2010

Beijing 2

Cities in China are always too crowded. Beijing is the only city that I always like.

It is so big that I always wish I knew more about it. Beijing has everything, if I can just find it.

Beijing is a place that combines rich and poor. I dont believe there are still that many really poor people who live in Beijing, but the Hutong are so dark and small that they are the best view of original old Beijing.

It's like a maze once you step into the narrow stone walkways, small and short rooms in a row,, post officers ride bikes in there to delieve letters. 

Mostly old people live there. I don't believe old people want to change their way of life. They appreciate the things they are use to like spending time with neighbours.

It is the same for my grandparents. They know the neighbourhood. Their friends and relatives all know where they live, so it's much easier to visit each other. Sometimes they just want to be with someone they know. They feel it is a waste to move out.

Paivi told me changes are always good, or at least there is a reason for it.

Things are changing here.

I don't know if the Hutong will still be there after this last old generation passes. 

Maybe there will be another museum to memorialize the Hutong, like with other lost cultures.

Now the goverment is trying to preserve some of the Hutong. They paint the outer walls, redo the tiles, making it nicer and newer looking. In the bigger Hutong homes where young people live they hang airconditioners, and change the old wooden doors to safety aluminium doors. 

I dont feel the Hutong are the same, but maybe that's the way they adapt to a new century.

Beijing has lots of conflictions. Things are so fancy and expensive, and there are things that are  so cheap and fake.

I always try to understand how a city can adapt to all the needs of its citizens.

Beijing is a dream place for most Chinese. I hope the hamorny can last.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the beautiful commentary on changing lives and changing cultures. You are both experiencing so very much...that is beautiful and thoughtful.... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. jinben
    mom speaks eloquently
    b...your observations and feelings remind me how much you and i share.
    aloha jin...dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. China seems very awesome. Beijing looks like a very cool city. It seems like a new and old city with many cultures. The race also looked amazing. I've always wanted to go to one. Lastly, the pandas look sooooooooo cute. They look like gigantic teddy bears. Love reading the blog. Keep writing. Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!
    -Sammy

    ReplyDelete